The following post and video by Maile Ohye, Google’s Developer Programs Tech Lead, gives some great tips on SEO for beginners.
She goes through:
- Select www or non-www version of your website
- Using Webmaster Tools
- Domain background check
- Get your website crawled by the Googlebot
- Website design strategy
- Website copy/content
- On-site SEO best practice
Webmaster Level: Beginner to Intermediate
- Work on a company website that’s under 50ish pages.
- Hope to rank well for your company name and a handful of related terms (not lots of terms like a news agency or e-commerce site).
- Want to be smart about search engines and attracting searchers, but haven’t kept up with the latest search news.
Then perhaps set aside ten minutes for this video (or just the slides) and gain SEO peace of mind.
Everything I’d tell a startup if I had ten minutes as their SEO consultant.
More tips at developers.google.com/startups. Best of luck!