How Mum Will Search For Products Online in 2012
Holly Pavlika at mediapost wrote an interesting article with great insight about what how women, especially mothers, will be targeted by big brand names over 2012. To read the whole article, click here.
In brief, here is what she discusses:
1. More mom video content on the web.
- Mums love to watch other mums in action and trust them much more than celebrities
- As mums watch a lot of online videos, YouTube has commissioned a Channel dedicated to women and mothers
- Mums with their own YouTube channel can turn into web celebrities by using the right content
- Brands need to jump on the video bandwagon if they want to stay engaged with mom.
- Brands need to use video if they want to engage with mums
2. Mobile will continue to influence mom’s path to purchase.
- Mums are using smartphones much more and brands that do not have a mobile strategy will be left behind
- According to BabyCenter, 53% of mums purchased a smartphone because they had become a mother
- Using a smartphone and apps, mums can comparison shop, check out potential purchases with friends, download coupons, manage the budget and much more
- The mobile phone is giving her all the information that she needs in order to make the right buying decision.
3. Mums Will Follow Those Brands That Provide A Great Experience
- Mums looking for great experience which is more important then brand loyalty
- Saves time, money. provides good information, great service
4. Brands Need To Be Aware Of Irregular Media Use
- Form a more integrated approach to marketing to mothers
- Still aware of traditional marketing as well as new digital marketing methods
- Content needs to be compelling
- Must be mobile phone optimismed
5. Strong Customer Service
- Mums are using brands social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, where she can add her opinion
- Customer service must be relavant
- Brands will need to have cross platform strategies in place